Menu

Monday, 16 February 2015

[Reading Challenge] 2015 Reading Challenge by Pop Sugar

Hi, everyone. A new year is coming, and usually I would just have regular reading challenge - from other bloggers or just set up my own - how many books in a year, but a friend of mine challenged me with a new reading challenge, and it looks tempting, so why not try a new more challenging thing? 

(http://9gag.com/gag/a8bQeNe)

Pretty cool, eh? Well, I've had one of these this year, but not as long. You know, the Lucky No. 14 Reading Challenge. Now, I want to make the list of books to read for this challenge like I've done before. 

1. A book with more than 500 pages

I have a lot now. One of Twilight Saga series - Eclipse and Breaking Dawn which I haven't finished could be on the list.

2. A classic romance

Honestly, this is not my genre anymore, but I'll try. Pride and Prejudice, perhaps? Since my sister got one.

3. A book that became a movie

This is easy. I have tons. Eclipse or Breaking Dawn. Maze Runner Trilogy. Gone Girl. Like I said, tons.

4. A book published this year

This is also easy. I bet I will buy a new book next year and read it straight away.

5. A book with a number in the title

For this one I need to check my to-read list to see if I have any. I have about 38 books on that list, and I think only Thirteen Steps Down that got number on the title. That will do.

6. A book written by someone under 30

Easy. I reckon one of the books I read would have that. Indonesian author, I guess. American or others usually have older author. I'll put in the book title once I've read the book.

7. A book with nonhuman characters

Duh. Vampires and werewolves in Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Grievers in Maze Runner...

8. A funny book

I bet one of the books in my list must be a funny one. Like Dreadfully Deadly Histories.

9. A book by female author

I think I'm tired of mentioning the same books over and over again.can you guess? Yes, Stephenie Meyer who wrote Eclipse and Breaking Dawn is female. Gilliam Flynn who wrote Gone Girl is female. Ruth Rendell who wrote Thirteen Steps Down is female.

10. A mystery or thriller

Two words: Gone Girl. I also have The Complete Sherlock Holmes. I wanna see if I can finish that thick book in a year.

11. A book with one-word title

Eclipse. Okay, let's try something else. Aerial. Redfang. Hailstorm. Reputation. Magnificent. Impossible. Forgiven. Metropolis. You choose.

12. A book of short stories

My own, perhaps? Cinta Hari Gini. Aku Baik-Baik Saja. Or The Complete Sherlock Holmes. The Naked Traveler Anthology. 

13. A book set in a different country

Different than mine? Easy, then. Most of the books in my list is not set in Australia. So, either one will do.

14. A nonfiction book

The Dreadfully Deadly Histories is nonfiction. Or Life Traveler. The Naked Traveler Anthology...etc. Just need to pick one of the other.

15. A popular author's first book

I was thinking of Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects since she is popular now, but I don't have it. Might as well choose another. Maybe Twilight, but I have to reread.

16. A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet

Easy (again). Orizuka's The Shaman. I might have more.

17. A book a friend recommended

Maze Runner is one of them.

18. A Pulitzer Prize-winning book

Let's see. I have to check for this. Yes! Gone Girl is in! Easy.

19. A book based on true story

Hmm, Gone Girl? Lol, that'd be too creepy. Twilight Saga or Maze Runner would be as well. So it goes to Surat Untukmu Sahabat.

20. A book at the bottom of your to-read list

I think it's one of Ruth Rendell's that I have, or the book for number 19 above.

21. A book your mom loves

THIS is tricky. My mom doesn't really read... Oh, well. We'll figure something out.

22. A book that scares you

I think it's my only horror novel: Aku Tahu Kamu Hantu.

23. A book more than 100 years old

At first this looks tricky, but then I remember the Bible. I do plan to finish reading it. A year will do. 

24. A book based entirely on its cover

Hmm, let me think... I'm seriously not sure about this. I'd know after reading it. Aerial, perhaps?

25. A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't

Wait, is this asking me to read my school text books? Lol. I don't really have any book I needed to read back then... Didn't I? Hmm... Probably one of Ruth Rendell's. I've got them since high school but never really read them. 

26. A memoir

Life Traveler or The Naked Traveler Anthology? 

27. A book you can finish in a day

Agatha Christie's Miss Marple: The Complete Novels in One Sitting! It says one sitting after all.

28. A book with antonyms in the title

Deary me, what's this? Is there any? I can't think of one. Will update this later.

29. A book set somewhere you always wanted to visit

Tons, since I want to visit a lot of places, so I'll just name it later.

30. A book that came out the year you were born

Tricky, cause I don't read old books - yes, I'm saying that 18 years old is old - it says for itself. But then again, I'm happy to announce, after doing so,e research, I found out that Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook is apparently as old as I am. Now I have more excuse to read it. But I have to buy it and add one more book to my list. Oh, well.... 

31. A book with bad reviews

I feel like passing this one. We'll see.

32. A trilogy

Maze Runner!

33. A book from your childhood

This is also old. Maybe one of the fairy tales. Alice in Wonderland? I do want to buy one of the repackaged version. It looks cute!

34. A book with a love triangle 

Yup, you know the name. Eclipse.

35. A book set in the future

Maze Runner? Yep.

36. A book set in high school

One of the Glam Girls series, I bet, like Impossible, Magnificent, Reputation... Or others like Satin Merah can do.

37. A book with a color in the title

I feel like an old lady who keeps repeating herself. Satin Merah. 

38. A book that made you cry

Reread? Autumn in Paris or Sunshine Becomes You, I guess. Or I For You. That'd be fun. I wanna know if I'd cry again. It's been awhile since the last time a book made me cry. 

39. A book with magic

No, I'm not reading Harry Potter. I'd find something else. Maybe reread Beautiful Creatures? But that'd be a pain... Vandaria Saga should have magic, or Aerial seems to do.

40. A graphic novel 

Only one that came to mind: Oblivion. Hope to get it somewhere.

41. A book by an author you've never read before

Easy. Gone Girl. Maze Runner. And tons of others. You name it. 

42. A book you own but have never read 

So all this time, what have I been talking about? Thirty. Eight. On. The. List. Baby.

43. A book that takes place in your hometown

Define "hometown". I'll take it as Batam, so I have to reread School: Chemistry, cause what else? My own writing? Nah. 

44. A book that was originally written in a different language 

Translation? Maybe Indonesian version of The Host that my bestie gave as my 17th birthday gift? Or the Bible will do, too. 

45. A book set during Christmas

Naming this later would probably be best.

46. A book written by an author with your same initials

AA? ... Who can this be?

47. A play

I have tons to read from one of my previous course. Or I can finally look at Shakespeare. 

48. A banned book 

Now this is hard. Where can I get banned books? All I think of is the library in Beautiful Creatures. Hmm, can this be book that was banned? Cause I know some. Like Alice in Wonderland... The Bible... 

49. A book based on or turned into TV show

Hmm, this is rare for me... Wait, not really. Sherlock Holmes?

50. A book you started but never finished

Harta Vaeran, but that's my friend's - and you know what's funny? This friend is the same friend who gave me this challenge.... Or Thirteen Steps Down will do, too. Or even David Levithan's The Lover's Dictionary. 

I haven't figured out all the books for each category, and currently, I used one book for some categories, but it may change. And I might be taking it slow....


UPDATED version! This time I'm making it clear which book I read for which category. Let's see...

1. A book with more than 500 pages: Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
2. A classic romance: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
3. A book that became a movie: The Maze Runner by James Dashner
4. A book published this year: (don't know yet. soon)
5. A book with a number in the title: Thirteen Steps Down by Ruth Rendell

6. A book written by someone under 30: Fight for Love by Orizuka
7. A book with nonhuman characters: Redfang bu Fachrul 
8. A funny book: Cinta Hari Gini by Various Authors (including me!)
9. A book by female author: Priceless Moment by Prisca Primasari
10. A mystery or thriller: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

11.  A book with one-word title: Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
12. A book of short stories: The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
13. A book set in a different country: First Time in Beijing by Riawani Elyta
14. A nonfiction book: The Bible by Scott Petty 
15. A popular author's first book: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (hopefully)

16. A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet: The Shaman by Orizuka
17. A book a friend recommended: Forgiven by Morra Quatro
18. A Pulitzer Prize-winning book: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
19. A book based on true story: Surat Untukmu Sahabat by Bunga Nizam
20. A book at the bottom of your to-read list: Nomadic Heart by Ariy

21. A book your mom loves: (THIS is tricky. My mom doesn't really read... Oh, well. We'll figure something out.)
22. A book that scares you: Aku Tahu Kamu Hantu by Eve Shi
23. A book more than 100 years old: The Bible by God :D
24. A book based entirely on its cover: (Not sure about this yet. I'd know after reading it.)
25. A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't: A Sight For Sore Eyes by Ruth Rendell

26. A memoir: The Life Traveler by Windy Ariestanty
27. A book you can finish in a day: Miss Marple: The Complete Novels in One Sitting by Agatha Christie!
28. A book with antonyms in the title: Is The Death Cure considered as one?
29. A book set somewhere you always wanted to visit: Casablanca by Dahlian
30. A book that came out the year you were born: The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (hopefully)

31. A book with bad reviews: Monte Carlo by Arumi
32. A trilogy: The Maze Runner trilogy!
33. A book from your childhood: Malin Kundang (hopefully)
34. A book with a love triangle: Oppa and I by Orizuka
35. A book set in the future: The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

36. A book set in high school:  Impossible by Nina Ardianti 
37. A book with a color in the title: Satin Merah by Bram and Ninit (P.S. Merah is red in Indonesian)
38. A book that made you cry: Autumn in Paris by Ilana Tan (hopefully)
39. A book with magic: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (hopefully)
40. A graphic novel: Oblivion by Joseph Kosinski (hopefully)

41. A book by an author you've never read before: One of Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle
42. A book you own but have never read: Heart Attack by Clara Canceriana
43. A book that takes place in your hometown: School: Chemistry by aL dHimas
44. A book that was originally written in a different language: The Host (Indonesian translation) by Stephenie Meyer (hopefully)
45. A book set during Christmas: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (hopefully)

46. A book written by an author with your same initials: The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (perhaps? Hopefully)
47. A play: Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare (hopefully)
48. A banned book: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carol (hopefully)
49. A book based on or turned into TV show: One of Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle
50. A book you started but never finished: The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

Now, how's this for starters? Wish me luck! I've set Goodreads bookshelf for this to help me focus on this challenge, too! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment