Menu

Wednesday, 14 May 2014

[Short Story] Somewhere Like This #Remediation


A little bit of background: I wrote this short story for an assignment. I was required to remediate a media text, which means I represent this media in other way or medium. I chose to remediate a short movie into a short story. The original text is a short movie by WongFu Productions called "Somewhere Like This". I hope I managed to remediate it well. Enjoy!


“Okay, okay, I got it. Don’t worry.”

A young man who was sitting on the driver seat moved forward to look out through the window. “Yes, I’ll make sure they’re not damage,” he reassured someone on the other side of the phone. “I’ll call you if I have any questions, all right? All right. Bye."

After ending the phone conversation, the man pulled out his car key and opened the door. He left his gray Acura parked on the side of the street and approached the cream house’s front porch. He knocked on the wooden door twice, and a moment later, a girl with a long black hair came out from inside.

“Scott?” The girl looked surprised.

Scott raised his eyebrows. “Irene?”

Irene smiled in confusion. “What are you doing here?"

“I thought this–” Scott observed the exterior of the house and turned back to the girl in front of him. “What are you doing here?” he asked back.

“I… live here,” Irene answered with a small chuckle.

“Oh, right.” Scott added a pause. “I don’t know you’re back in town.” He frowned with both eyes closed as if he was trying to remember something. “Wait, um, isn’t your house in Maple behind the library?”

“Yeah, that was years ago. We moved,” Irene told him.

“I guess it’s been awhile,” Scott commented, while Irene nodded with a wide smile.

“Anyways, this is crazy, um, you wouldn’t happen to be selling some vinyl record, would you?” Scott asked in doubtful tone.

Irene’s huge eyes were widened even more. “Yeah, I am!” She nodded in excitement. “Well, most of them are sold already. Sorry,” she added quickly. She then squinted her eyes and tilted her head. “Since when were you into vintage stuff?”

Scott chuckled as he rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m not,” he replied as he shook his head. “My cousin is. She saw your ad online, and she got call to work, so she asked if I could come to pick them up for her.”

Irene remained smiling widely as she nodded her head. “Okay,” she replied shortly.

The two was staring at each other in silence when Irene shook her head and opened her door wider. “Well, come in, come in!”

Scott followed the girl inside and closed the door behind him.

“You know, you haven’t changed at all,” Irene commented with a chuckle as they walked towards the living room. “That look on your face when I opened the door…”

Scott stopped and leaned his back against the wall. “What do you mean?”

Irene also stopped her steps and turned to Scott. “You were just as clueless back then, too,” she replied as her eyes wandered around.

Scott chuckled with both hands crossed in front of his chest. “I wasn’t clueless,” he defended himself.

Irene was giving him a doubtful look, so he added, “Maybe nervous.” He shrugged. “But only because your dad scared me.”

“I think that was the point,” Irene joked. She smiled as she moved to the center of the living room.

“How have you been?” Scott asked as he continued his steps to follow Irene.

Irene turned back to him. They had reached the middle of the room where a white sofa and a coffee table in front of it were placed. “Not bad. Um, I started a new internship downtown, so I’m staying here with my parents till I find my own place.”

Scott nodded his head. “It’s exciting?”

“It is.” Irene smiled. “How are things at the shop? You still work there?”

“Yeah, I do. It’s been busy.”

“But things have been well?”

Scott shrugged his shoulders. “I’d say so.”

Another silence as Irene looked down, playing with her fingers, while Scott stared at the girl in the blue cardigan. “You look great,” he commented.

Irene lifted her head and froze when her eyes met Scott’s. “Uh, let me find those records for you. Sorry, this place is a mess.” She sighed desperately as she moved quickly towards her room.

Scott spotted some boxes full of random things on the table beside him. “You’re moving again?”

“That? Oh, no. I’m just cleaning some stuffs,” Irene replied from distance. “I’m having a garage sale next weekend. You should come. Oh, I mean, it’s mostly all used old junks, but maybe you’ll find something you like.”

Scott went through all the things in the boxes. There were an iron, a water bottle, some cardboards… He stopped when he found a black cylinder with lenses in both ends. He grabbed and observed it with wandering eyes. Scott smiled as he gently rubbed the three little white stars which were painted on its side.

Irene was startled when she came back to the living room and noticed what Scott had found. She tightened her grip on the records she was holding as she avoided Scott’s gaze. The two were trapped in silence for the third time that day.


A couple was enjoying the park with their hands in each other’s. The boy with a black backpack on his shoulder put his hand around the girl as she looked up to see the beautiful trees surrounding them. The two laughed as the boy embraced the girl and kissed her forehead.

“You’re really gonna make me guess?” The pony-tailed girl asked.

They sat on the grass facing each other.

“Uh-huh.”

“Fine,” she replied as she patted the backpack on her lap and lifted her head with wandering eyes. “It’s… a new pair of shoes?” She tried to guess.

The boy with shorter bangs covering his forehead tried not to smile. “You wish,” he teased.

“It’s–” She looked down on the grass. “–that antique typewriter we saw last week?” She guessed again, keeping her enthusiastic expression.

“Nope,” the boy simply replied.

The girl in gray outfit opened her mouth. “It’s a puppy?” Her eyes sparkled.

“Wha–?” The boy chuckled. “Just open it.” He pushed the backpack closer to the girl as she chuckled and unzipped the bag.

Her smile disappeared once she found out what was inside. “Wow.”

The boy smiled thinly as the girl pulled a black cylinder out of his backpack and stared at him and the cylinder alternatively. “I know you’re gonna be busy with classes, but if you can, it works best if you go somewhere far from the city lights,” he told her.

The girl looked through the lenses in amazement.

“That’s where the skies are the clearest and the stars are the brightest,” he continued.

The girl, who was staring at the sky, turned to him and smiled. “Somewhere like this?”

The boy looked away and nodded. “Yeah, somewhere like this.” He smiled, but it didn’t last long. “What’s wrong?” he asked softly when he noticed her change of expression.

The girl rubbed the three little stars on the telescope’s side. “We’re supposed to go stargazing together.”

“I know it’s what we said, but, summer is over, and you’re leaving already, so I just thought… I don’t know.” The boy looked down as he sighed.

The girl smiled thinly as she grabbed his hands and rubbed them gently. “Thank you. I love it.”


“Scott, you really don’t have to,” Irene said as she followed Scott outside. “I mean, I don’t even remember when it stopped working”

They stopped in front of Irene’s house. “Let me take a look at it. I want to try,” Scott replied as he observed the black telescope in his hands. “I don’t think it’s totally hopeless.” He smiled as he turned away to leave.

“Wait, Scott.” Irene stopped his steps. “I don’t want you to think that I… I just…” Irene was struggling to find the right words. She sighed. “I didn’t know what to do with it. I mean, it was so long ago, and–”

“I know,” Scott interrupted her with a thin smile.

Irene smiled back at him. “It was nice to see you again.”

Scott nodded. “I’ll let you know how this goes.” And he left with some records in his right hand and a black telescope in his left hand.


Scott was sitting on his study chair, trying to fix a telescope in front of him. He disassembled some parts of the telescope, replacing and putting them back to their places. He then tried to look through the lenses and sighed. He leaned back to his chair as his eyes wandered out through the window. A shooting star crossed through the pitch black sky.

“Things are gonna be different?” The boy in brown polo shirt asked.

“With some things,” the girl who was sitting beside him replied.

The boy with short black hair turned to her. “With us?”

After remaining silence for a split second, the girl smiled. “Not everything.” She shook her head. “Not us.”

The boy looked down on the grass as she moved herself closer to him and laid her head on his shoulder. “Where do you think we’ll end up?” he asked.

The girl raised her eyebrows as she shook her head. “I don’t know.” She closed her eyes and smiled.

“Somewhere like this,” she replied softly.

She lifted her head and looked him in the eyes, and leaned back to him as he rested his head on hers.

Scott put the telescope on his desk as he spotted a little folded note beside it. He lifted it up in front of his eyes and flipped it over with a sigh.


Scott closed his Acura’s door with a black telescope in his hand and walked towards a one-storey house across the street. His feet stopped when he saw a girl in a light blue dress was holding hands with a young, tall man on her porch. The man in white shirt kissed her goodbye and left as the long-haired girl waved with a smile.

Scott watched them with sorrow eyes and looked down to his telescope. He got back into his car and took out a brown folded note from his pocket.


A young boy in blue shirt lifted a luggage and put it into his car’s trunk when a girl wearing green stripes sweater approached him and handed another bag.

“Is that everything?” The boy with short bangs asked after putting the luggage into the trunk.

The girl tapped her luggage as she nodded. “I think so.”

“You’re ready then?” Young Scott asked.

Young Irene nodded. “Let’s go.”

Scott closed his trunk and they both got into the car. They were driving with their hands in each other’s. Once they arrived, Scott took the luggage out and carried them for Irene.

Irene stopped their steps by pulling Scott’s hand which was in hers. She took out a folded note from her pocket. “Before I forget.” She handed it to Scott. “But after I leave, okay?” 

Scott nodded as he received the note in confusion. “Okay.”

Irene smiled as she walked pass him, and they continued their steps to the airport.

Scott looked up when an airplane flied above him. He got back to his car to unfold the brown piece of paper Irene gave him and read it with a smile. He drove back home with the folded note in his hand.


Scott smiled as he unfolded the note in his hands. There was a neat, glittery handwriting with blue sky water-colored background underneath it.

Across clear skies
Among glowing stars
That’s where I’ll find us

Scott took out his car key and drove away, leaving a black telescope with three little white stars painted on its side leaned on Irene’s porch.


More about "Somewhere Like This":

No comments:

Post a Comment