Menu

Monday, 21 April 2014

[Short Story] He Said, She Said


It's been awhile since the last time I posted a story here. And is this the first short story I've ever posted in English? I can't remember. So, this one is inspired by a girl named Amalia Azzahra, so all credits go to her! I read this story of her, and inspiration just struck like lightning. Thank you so much to you, Zahra! :D This is just a typical, simple short story, but I really hope you all enjoy it!


SHE SAID

I’m that type of girl, who tends to fall for shy, clueless guys. I love romantic and sweet guys, but lately I realized, those who don’t say much but shows in little actions are much more lovable, if it makes any sense. I think most girls are like that. They love that kind of character in movies or novels, who isn’t NATO – no action, talk only. They would say they don’t need romantic guys – they want cool guys who seem not to care, but actually are dying inside. 

HE SAID

I’m that type of guy, who tends to fall for cute, popular girls. Cliché? To be exact, girl without the ‘S’, because up till now, only this one girl who manages to attract me. I know this might sound lame, but she’s not like any other girls. She is beautiful, smart, easy-going, kind-hearted, and all what ‘perfect’ girls have in movies, but what makes her different is, she doesn’t have a clue.

SHE SAID

But in the end, in reality, those girls would easily fall for sweet and romantic words. In fact, they are actually craved for those. I’m not like them. I’m sick of sweet and romantic words. I’ve had enough. I know for sure that I would fall, or already fell, for that kind of guy, whom I was talking about before. Even though I’m usually tired of his ignorant and clueless personality, I don’t really mind. It just shows how he is. He is cool in every way, and it makes him even cooler for not noticing it.

HE SAID

I will call her Camillian from now on, because it fits her perfectly. She is popular in her kind of way. Unlike those girls from chicklits who is popular because of her money, beauty, or any other material things, this girl, like her name, is like a chameleon. She will always look good and fit perfectly anywhere she likes. Everyone is happy to be her friends, simply because her natural talent in socializing and awesome personality.

SHE SAID

Too bad I’m not the only one who notices his awesomeness. Everyone can see it, even if he is trying to hide it. And competition doesn’t really give me more confidence to chase after him. I’m just a simple girl with no special traits at all. I don’t really like being with people. I’m a geek who prefers reading novels alone in my room rather than going to parties with my friends. I’m a freak who prefers milk on top of beers, Bible on top of magazines, library on top of mall. And now, you can see a thousand and one reasons why that guy should choose other girls rather than me. I’m invisible. 

HE SAID

I won’t say she’s perfect, because no one is. People would see someone they love as a perfect one, but I won’t. Like everyone else, she is a normal human, so she is not perfect. And I don’t mind at all, because it’s not perfection that I seek in her. I love her weaknesses – it makes me want to protect her. In some sense, it’s like she has multiple personalities – or at least, two that contradict each other. For instance, as much as she loves socializing and being with people, she also loves being alone. Call her a loner, because she is. There will be times when she just sits there by herself, thinking about God-knows-what, which always makes me curious. Trust me, I often feel like cutting her head off just to see what’s inside, but I love her too much to do that.

SHE SAID

Nobody is perfect, and I do not need perfection. Everything is already in him. Music, sports, science, faith, beauty, personality – he has them all. That smile which takes my breath away. That voice which lifts me up to the seventh sky. It sounds lame, I know, but I don’t know how else to describe how I feel when he’s around. Like any other girls, I would like to do everything I can to make myself visible in his eyes, but it’s just nearly impossible. Yes, he makes me feel special at some point, but if everyone is treated special, no one really is. He was just born that way – kind and gentle, and no one can blame him for that.

HE SAID

Have you ever seen rainbow in waterfall? That’s one way to describe her beautiful smile. Sunset, sunrise, all is as beautiful as she is. I might exaggerate a bit, but you know how people who are in love are. I just can’t help it. Too bad she’s in love with someone else. No one can really read her mind, but I just know, somehow. At least I know she’s in love with guys who are smart and talented, unlike me – a jock who can only run around field with ball on my feet. I’m nothing compare to her ex-crushes. I can play guitar and sing, but I’m not that good, either. Pathetic.

SHE SAID

Above all the reasons why I don’t deserve his attention, I know whom he falls for. That’s most probably why I have no confidence at all. He falls for this super gorgeous and popular girl. How do I know? He told me that – every bit and little thing. I know how he loves her beautiful smile, her friendliness, her everything. It isn’t possible for me to compete with her in any way. My chance is minus – not just zero. 

HE SAID

We were – well, still are, best friends. That’s one thing that makes me feel lucky. At least I can be around her quite often, even though it means I would hurt myself even more. If I could be confident, just for a little while, I would say, “I’m the guy for her”. I know what she loves, what she hates, what she wants, what she’s like. I can even write a book and call it ‘Everything You Need to Know about Camillian’. We are that close. We share almost everything to each other. I’m the only one who can understand her. How can it not enough?

SHE SAID

I must say I’m lucky. I’m not that invisible. He can still see me, but as a close friend, no more than that. He doesn’t mind to share everything to me, and I prefer to be the one who listens. Even though it hurts, like knowing who his crush is, I’m still lucky. Being friend-zoned is not that bad. Better than being an enemy or stranger, right? I might bury these feelings inside me until I die, and I don’t really mind. I won’t regret the fact that I have experience so many things with him. I can hear him singing any time I want. I can watch him play soccer whenever I want. I can be around him without any reasons. That’s quite enough.

HE SAID

I can actually win her heart, with all the knowledge and understanding of her, but like any other lame reasons, I don’t really want to ruin our friendship. I think, as much as I want to be more than a friend to her, I also love the way we are right now. So I guess, I will never tell her how I really feel. Let it just be this way. At least I can know part of the contents in her head that she doesn’t mind to share. I don’t really have to cut off her head to know what’s inside. And she doesn’t mind if I’m around when she wants to be alone. If I tend to feel awkward just to sit around in silence, I don’t feel that way with her. We can spend hours in silence – she reads novels, and I play around with my soccer ball or guitar. She doesn’t mind if I sing while she’s reading. We also often spend time together in the library reading the Bible together. I’d rather cherish every moment I can have with her than keep worrying about these stupid feelings.


”Love isn’t always as you see it. Love isn’t always as you dream it should be. Love isn’t always gonna find you. But this is love, cause you’re all I’m thinking of.” 
(Same Same – Love Isn’t)

No comments:

Post a Comment