Menu

Friday, 28 February 2014

[Movie Review] The Secret Life of Bees (2008)


Movie Title      : The Secret Life of Bees
Directed by     : Gina Prince-Bythewood
Produced by    : Lauren S. Donner, James Lassiter, etc.
Based on        : The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Distributed by : Fox Searchlight Pictures
My Rating        : 3.5 of 5

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Life_of_Bees_(film))

The Secret Life of Bees is an American drama film about Lily (Dakota Fanning), fourteen-year-old girl who lives with her father and a housekeeper. She accidentally killed her mother when she was a kid, and she lives with a burden of guiltiness. She keeps convincing herself that her mother didn’t run away from her father and left her with him as he told her, so in order to seek the truth, she runs away with her housekeeper to a town where Lily's mother was thought to have once lived. They are then led to the house of August Boatwright (Queen Latifah) and her sisters. Lily and her housekeeper eventually stay and work there.  Lily experiences growing up in their household, and discovers a lot of new things she never knew about, including the truth about her mother.
It’s a touching story – which means, it made me cry. The idea and the plot are brilliant, and the casts play stunningly, but there’s something missing, which I don’t know what. It’s just not my most favorite, I guess. There’s an issue about racist as well, and it made me think, why people are so racist? I think colored people are really lovely and talented, way cooler than white, if I may say. Lol. Oh, well, let’s just leave it behind. It taught me many lessons, but one thing I disagree, about Mary. We shouldn’t worship her. It’s God who is behind everything – all the good and bad things. He let bad things happen for a reason – a good one, and we should ask for His mercy, and also thank Him for the good things He has done for us, not someone else.  And Lily says that she forgives herself. Well, the better way to say it is, that Jesus had died and resurrected to cleanse our sins, so we should thank Him, that we should never live in guilty anymore. We just need to believe in Him and ask for forgiveness, and God who is gracious will always forgive us. 


I also posted this review on my Bubblews account. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment