Menu

Thursday, 13 February 2014

[Movie Review] My Sister's Keeper (2009)


Movie Title      : My Sister's Keeper
Directed by     : Nick Cassavetes
Based on        : My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Studio           : Curmudgeon Films
Distributed by : New Line Cinema
My Rating       : 5 of 5

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Sister's_Keeper_(film))

My Sister's Keeper is a drama about Anna Fitzgerald (Abigail Breslin), who was brought into the world as a savior sister to donate compatible organs, blood, and tissue, as she is conceived to be a genetic match for her older sister, Kate (Sofia Vassilieva), who suffers from acute leukemia. Kate goes into renal failure, and eleven-year-old Anna knows that she will be forced by her parents to donate one of her kidneys, so she proceeds to sue her parents for medical emancipation and the rights to her own body. Her overprotective mother, Sara (Cameron Diaz), who is obsessive to keep Kate alive, disagrees with this and finally takes this case to the court. Attorney Campbell Alexander (Alec Baldwin) agrees to work for Anna and helps her during the court. 

The film is interlaced with flashbacks about Kate’s life – her family and her relationship with them and also some things else. During the court, Anna and Kate's older brother, Jesse (Evan Ellingson), reveals the true reason why Anna is doing all these things. Before the case is decided, Kate dies while sleeping at the hospital with her mother by her side. After Kate's death, Campbell brings the court decision: Anna won the case. The family moves on with their lives, but every year on Kate's birthday they go to Montana, which was her "most favorite place in the world". 

I have to say this is the saddest drama I’ve ever watched, and I cried along the movie until my head hurt. The idea is really brilliant, how Anna was brought to life to be her sister’s keeper. It teaches such a lesson, about family and life, and I was touched so bad, it hit me on the face! I don’t know what I meant by it, actually. I just wanted to say it. The point is, this movie is freakingly meaningful and touching. I love the change of POV, where Kate’s family members are introduced one by one, and each tells about how Kate's illness has affected them personally. I love how the plot goes back and forth, from present to past, or the opposite. And the casts play them role so well, I felt like it’s not a movie, but a real thing.


I also posted this review on my Bubblews account. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment