Menu

Thursday, 13 February 2014

[Movie Review] Message in a Bottle (1999)


Movie Title      : Message in a Bottle
Directed by     : Luis Mandoki
Based on        : Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks
Distributed by : Warner Bros.
My Rating        : 4 of 5

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_in_a_Bottle_(film))

Message in a Bottle is an American romantic drama film about Theresa Osborne (Robin Wright Penn), a researcher in Chicago Tribune, has a trip to Cape Cod, where she finds a mysterious, intriguing love letter in a bottle, addressed to a woman named Catherine. She is fascinated by it and comes into possession of two more letters by the same person, eventually tracking down the man who wrote them, Garret Blake (Kevin Costner). Theresa comes to visit Garret, and they become better acquainted. 

They get to know and fall for each other. Even though they live hundreds of miles apart, it doesn’t stop them. But there are two problems: Theresa hasn’t revealed her knowledge of the love letters and Garret can’t quite forgive Catherine – her late wife, for dying and leaving him. Their new love grows, but those two problems get in the way and separate them. Their love is still there, though, till death do they part.

It’s a melancholic love story with a brilliant plot. But the slow pace kind of made me bored watching it. Still, Nicholas Sparks always manage to touch my heart with his amazing stories. I love newspaper company environment in the movie, even though there’s not much to see about it. I also love the other setting: beach city along with beach house. The casts play their roles well, but I don’t really feel the chemistry like other Nicholas Sparks’ movies. I almost cried, but I didn’t, partly because I held up my tears, the other part… I just didn’t feel really sad. Well, among all Nicholas Sparks’ movies that I had watched, I have to say this one is my least favorite, but I still love the idea, though! 


I also posted this review on my Bubblews account. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment