Menu

Thursday, 13 February 2014

[Movie Review] Easy A (2010)


Movie Title      : Easy A
Directed by     : Will Gluck
Produced by    : Zanne Devine and Will Gluck
Written by      : Bert V. Royal
Distributed by : Screen Gems
My Rating       : 4 of 5

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_A)

Easy A is an American teen comedy film starring Emma Stones. The story starts with a lie from a young high school girl named Olive Penderghast (Emma Stone) to her best friend, Rhiannon Abernathy (Aly Michalka), about going on a date in order to get out of camping with Rhiannon's hippie parents. The following Monday, pressed by Rhiannon, Olive lies (again) about losing her virginity to a college guy whom she dated on previous weekend. Marianne Bryant (Amanda Bynes), a strictly religious girl at their school, overhears her lie and spreads it to the whole school. Olive’s reputation gets worse after she decides to help a bunch of ‘losers’ at her school by pretending to be their date, pretending to have sex with them, and other lies, in exchange of money. 

After having a fight with Rhiannon over Olive's new identity as a "dirty skank", Olive decides to counteract the harassment by embracing her new image as the school tramp. She begins to wear more provocative clothing and stitches a red "A" to everything she wears – inspired from a movie/novel called The Scarlet Letter. When things go from worse to worst (she gets blamed for something she didn’t do and treated the way she shouldn’t be treated), Olive, who can’t stand it anymore, begins to ask everyone she lied for to help her out, but no one do. In her desperation, she finally comes up with a crazy plan to get everything out in the open. She finally clears her reputation (and live happily ever after with her prince charming).

I watched it this morning, and quite enjoyed it. I actually found this movie because I’ve been crazy about Amanda Bynes lately (after watching Pitch Perfect, then Sydney White and Big Fat Liar). Speaking of her, she’s done a very good job in this movie. I adore her. Each of her roles in every movie is very different, but she manages to play it all well.

This movie isn’t really my type, but I like it. I’m starting to like romance comedy now, and this one actually brings more moral lessons than I had expected. The film makers are not afraid to speak their mind, and I really appreciate it. This movie might not be the best, but it still gets my high praise and yes, recommendation from me. You should watch it, because it taught me a lot in one morning.


I also posted this review on my Bubblews account. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment