Menu

Tuesday, 25 February 2014

[Anime Review] Detective Conan the Movie: The Time-Bombed Skyscraper (1997)


Anime Title      : Detective Conan: The Time-Bombed Skyscraper 
Directed by     : Kanetsugu Kodama
Produced by    : Michihiko Suwa
Written by     : Kazunari Kochi
Distributed by : Toho
My Rating       : 5 of 5

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Closed:_The_Time_Bombed_Skyscraper)

Detective Conan the Movie: The Time-Bombed Skyscraper is a Japanese animated feature film based on the Detective Conan manga series about Shinichi Kudo, a high school detective who is accidentally transformed back into a kid. Shinichi is invited to an afternoon tea by a famous architect, Teiji Moriya, but since he definitely can’t make it, he asks his childhood friend, Ran, to come with her dad and Conan – kid version of Shinichi, who is taken care by Ran. Ran agrees, on the condition that Shinichi goes to a movie with her. Shinichi has no choice but agrees, even though he doesn’t know how to make it happen. Shinichi then receives several calls from a strange, mysterious man who challenges him to play a game with clues leading to bombs hidden all over Tokyo. Conan manages to find and destroy every one of them, including capturing the culprit and saving many people. It is really hard to keep his double life as Shinichi and Conan, but his genius brain can always keep up. 
I never really liked Conan. I think I read some of the manga series when I was a kid (my cousin collected every each of them). Well, I was interested, but never really pushed myself to read it. Then, I started to watch the anime (movies) instead, since the manga series is already too many to keep up. And apparently, it is really good! Mind-blowing, curiosity-growing, engaging, genius! The plot is really brilliant. I couldn’t even guess. Well, in the end, I kind knew who the culprit is, but I was just really amazed by their mind-tricks. I  love Shinichi! Something about anime that is really entertaining for me. I always love anime and listen to Japanese people talk. They just sound lovely. 
Funny thing is, in America, Detective Conan is renamed as Case Closed, then Shinichi Kudo is renamed as Jimmy Kudo, Ran becomes Rachel, etc. They rename the Japanese name become American names! I have to say I disagree. I love Japanese names, and everything about it. Changing it to be more American makes them less unique. Why do they do that? Anyway, watch the Japanese version with English subtitle. It’s just my humble suggestion. I personally love Japanese dub. English dub makes it more… American, not Japanese. The reason why I watch anime is because they’re Japanese. Kind of bored of English and my native language, so Japanese is kind of… refreshing. 


I also posted this review on my Bubblews account. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment